I got creative last night. I was craving some tea cakes. I’m OBSESSED with Effie’s OatCakes, so I looked for a similar recipe to the ingredients listed on the bag. The recipe I found was quite British, and therefore perfect. I made some tweaks and in the final stages, stemming from my lack of any non-Christmas or non-canine cookie cutters, I settled for a gingerbread man. Tea Buddies were born, and I love them!
– 1.5c rolled OR old fashioned oats (I chop mine 20 pulses in the food processor to get the correct texture)
– 1.5c flour
– 0.5c granulated sugar
– 0.5c brown sugar
– 0.5t baking soda
– 1t coarse salt
– 1c COLD butter
– 3T milk
– 0.5t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Add oats, flour, sugars, soda, and salt in bowl. Combine thoroughly.
- Cube in cold butter and rub with your fingers until the texture is crumbly (bread crumb-esque).
- Combine milk & vanilla. Add liquid mixture to crumbly flour butter mixture. Stir with spoon and combine well (add another 1T of milk if necessary).
- Form mix into a ball – flour work surface and roll out dough ball to ~1/2″ thick.
- Cut with your gingerbread man cookie cutter (or ANY cookie cutter). Place on cookie sheets. The cookies don’t rise or expand much so they can be placed quite close together.
- Bake 10 – 15 minutes until the edges have just started to brown (I burned some of mine because I’m awful at getting them all the same thickness, still tasted great).
- Cool on wire rack or tea towel, serve once cool or save for later!